Monday, January 6

The Nuvigil Stands Alone

As of now, it really does help by itself.

The combinations just haven't worked for us. My husband has tried several, but after the last one, he decided that Nuvigil would suffice for now. While the Prozac/Nuvigil combo gave my husband a manic amount of energy, it also made it even more difficult for him to sleep, and gave him frequent headaches.


Although the Nuvigil isn't the perfect solution, it is working well with limited side effects - which is about all one can ask for, right? Especially considering the side effects that are possible with Nuvigil.


(from the official site:)

  • NUVIGIL may cause serious side effects including a serious rash or a serious allergic reaction that may affect parts of your body such as your liver or blood cells, and may result in hospitalization and be life-threatening. If you develop a skin rash, hives, sores in your mouth, blisters, swelling, peeling, or yellowing of the skin or eyes, trouble swallowing or breathing, dark urine, or fever, stop taking NUVIGIL and call your doctor right away or get emergency help...
  • Mental (psychiatric) symptoms, including: depression, feeling anxious, sensing things that are not really there, extreme increase in activity (mania), thoughts of suicide, aggression, or other mental problems
  • Symptoms of a heart problem, including: chest pain, abnormal heart beat, and trouble breathing
  • Common side effects of NUVIGIL are headache, nausea, dizziness, and trouble sleeping. These are not all the side effects of NUVIGIL.
For now, Nuvigil is keeping my husband awake when he wants to be, and his Cataplexy seems to have let up somewhat. Until it stops working, just we'll be content with that.

Incidentally, I wanted to mention something that has been immensely helpful to our family while my husband is out of work. Without health insurance, affording Nuvigil would be impossible for us. After contacting the Cephalon Cares Foundation, they have awesomely provided my husband with the medication he needs at no cost. In case your loved one needs Nuvigil but can't currently afford it, I'd highly recommend contacting them to see what they can do for you.

1 comment:

  1. I am so delighted to hear that your husband has managed to find a tolerable aid to relieve your mutual burden. As a fellow sufferer of the shackles of sleep, I can sympathize. I myself have had to relegate my own contentment to being grateful for taking Ritalin alone. While I am forced to take the medically allowed maximum of 40 mg twice a day, I have also not found any other combination that provides a tolerable solution. So I am always thrilled to hear of anyone else finding some sanctuary from the endlessly excessive sleepiness and/or paralysis. I myself have been on disability the last few years and it has been a priceless source of comfort. Without it, my family would never have survived through our struggles. Sadly though, I recently was denied my review and am having to go through the process of appealing. If your husband is like me and unable to work, know that I understand the strain of your situation, as well as the feelings he may be dealing with each day. My ear is always open to either of you, should you need someone to talk to.

    Be grateful for the good days, try to tolerate the bad, and never forget to enjoy everything in between.

    Sincerely yours,
    Matthew C. Gill
    https://twitter.com/SilverPenScribe
    http://silverpenscribe.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete