Friday, August 13

Narcolepsy Is Absolutely Not Contagious... Right?

I've been very tired lately.

It's funny how a lack of sleep is the last thing we consider when feeling unwell. I considered everything but sleeplessness as a reason for my malaise. Then one day - I fell asleep.

I never fall asleep, even when I should. But this day, I fell asleep in the middle of the day, quite unexpectedly.

Apparently, I need more sleep.

It's makes perfect sense. Sleeping with someone who can never get a good night's sleep is bound to affect their partner. Not to mention we have a toddler who sometimes decides to wake up at 3am. It's hard to predict when I'll go to bed though. For instance, last night my husband called home around 11:00pm to tell me that he'd have to nap before he drove home. Worried, I waited up for him. I didn't get to bed until 2am. Our daughter gets up at 6.

If I'm going to be an advocate for my husband, I'm going to have to take better care of myself. Isn't that the first rule of care-giving? The caregiver must take care of self first. That's going to be hard for someone who considers her family's needs before her own and feels guilty if she doesn't.
For starters, I've begun painting again. I started a series of ACEO (Art Cards, Editions, and Originals - art the size of baseball cards) with different themes, including narcolepsy.

I feel better already.

No comments:

Post a Comment