Friday, October 14

End of the Medication Nightmare ... Maybe

I'm not too thrilled with my last blog post.

My mouse hovered over the delete button, but I'm going to leave it alone. After all, this blog is about my reality of living with a narcoleptic spouse, and that day my reality was that I felt bitter. And tired. And discouraged. But today my reality is different. I feel better. I actually feel hopeful. In a previous post, I discussed how Nuvigil worked for my husband, but we couldn't afford it (even with so-called "good" insurance). Well circumstances have changed and Nuvigil is now within our grasp! I'm very happy about it; my husband will start taking it this week.

I feel hopeful because the husband who is irritable, quick to anger, and sometimes says mean things is not really my husband. It's my Medicated Husband. Different guy - same winning smile. Unfortunately, I don't see that smile a lot when he's on his current medication. I've talked a lot about how much I hate Adderall, so believe me when I say that I am thrilled to kiss it goodbye.

Believe it or not, I'm not knocking Adderall.

I'm sure it's worked great for some narcoleptics. I'm sure it has really changed some lives for the better and helped immensely. I'm sure it's the answer to many prayers. But not for us. The side effects just weren't worth it. I preferred to have my sleepy husband who fell asleep every half hour to the amped-up guy who couldn't sit still and was incredibly intense over mundane things. That guy was the inspiration behind my last post.

My husband deserves to feel better. He really does. As much as I hate the way he is on Adderall, he hates the way he feels. Because he's actually tried Nuvigil before, we know that it works for him. I posted about it not too long ago because our insurance didn't cover Nuvigil. We applied for the medication assistance program, but guess what? If you have insurance, you don't qualify. What?! That's our health care system for ya.

We're still interested in trying some other things, including something to help him sleep, but I'll take things one thing at a time for now.


I'm just so grateful that my reality is different today.

9 comments:

  1. It's like we're living parallel lives...my partner started Nuvigil yesterday after suffering in all the same ways with Adderall. Can't wait to see if it makes a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand that fight you are having with the costs of Nuvigil... I've been there. My insurance doesn't cover it & of course, if you have insurance, you don't qualify for the assistance... darned if you do & darned if you don't!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nuvigil is night and day to the stims! I started taking it in January and I've been a different person! More "me." The stimulants caused me to have so much hostility and irritability. None of that on Nuvigil! Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robin that's great! We'll have to keep each other posted...

    Danielle, that's exactly how we felt! It makes no sense whatsoever.

    LoP, I am so excited to hear that! I really hope it works the same way for my hubby!

    Thanks for the input guys. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think leaving the other post is helpful. I'm sure it's comforting when people see they are not the only ones who have these feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just about cried when read the part about adderall affecting ur husband's mood. My husband and I have split up on two occasion due to his anger problems. What is this Nuvigil? We'll ask his doc tomorrow!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband's doctor prescribed Nuvigil instead of Provigil, but my husband asked to be put on Provigil again. With Nuvigil you only take one dose a day, but it wasn't sufficient to keep him awake at work. With two doses of Provigil he is doing much better and since the second afternoon dose has been increased to 300 mg he stays awake most of the evenings (before he came home from work and was unresponsive till the bed time). Also, adding xyrem at night helped him tremendously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am anxious to find out how the xyrem works for you husband. Mine is set to start it soon and I am interested to get an insite into what to expect. Any tips?

      Delete