Tuesday, August 31

I'm Glad It Ain't Me - A Confession

I have a confession to make.

I'm glad I'm not the one with narcolepsy.

This doesn't mean that I wish my husband ill - I'm not psycho - but of the two of us, I'm glad it's not me.

There. I admitted it.

If you're wondering why, it's because I don't think that I could handle it. I have a slightly manic personality. I'm always busy, always moving, and it's very difficult to turn off my mind - even to sleep. It's actually a little bit of a problem sometimes. It takes a whole lot for me to relax and even more to enjoy it. I'm a perpetual list maker, multi-tasker, Superwoman wannabe. I can barely keep up with myself as it is... if my brain and body wouldn't (or couldn't) cooperate with me, I think I'd go nuts.

Also, I'm good at taking care of people. Partly my maternal instincts, partly just my nature, I'm a good caregiver. I'd much rather play nursemaid than be taken care of.

That said, I can't wait until no one is ever sick, including my long-suffering husband, who tries his best to live his life - heavily altered by narcolepsy. Altered or not, it's still his life...
and I enjoy being a part of it.

3 comments:

  1. As a person with Narcolepsy, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this blog. I have been in relationships where I have tried to explain what is was like to live with Narcolepsy. I have found that many people are not interested in learning about this disease. I am lucky to now have someone in my life that cares, and wants to learn more. I have sent her the link to this blog...Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my wife is glad it ain't her too ;-)

    She's taken to reading your blog and she sees a lot of similarities. Since I know how much I appreciate that and her efforts and love for me, I know your husband feels the same for you.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both so much - I'm always so happy and proud to know that there are others out there supporting people with narcolepsy. You guys rock!

    ReplyDelete